Now that the school year is in full swing and our friends are settled into the routine, students are more comfortable and behaviors often begin to show their true colors. This is a brief article of the effective, researched based strategies to prevent challenging behaviors in your classroom.
- Behavior expectations are posted, reviewed and positively reinforced throughout the day.
- Transitions are minimal and effective.
- Adult conversations are supportive and positive.
- Students are actively engaged at all times.
- Acknowledgement for pro-social behaviors are provided at a ratio of 5:1.
- Students are given choice throughout the day.
- Specific and direct social and emotional instruction is provided daily.
- Predictable schedules are utilized and posted daily.
- Visuals are posted throughout the classroom to support pro-social behaviors.
- Teachers and students are smiling and learning throughout the day!
Consistent use of the above strategies will help to prevent up to 95% of challenging behaviors in the classroom. It is worth your time and energy!